Top Ten Christmas CD's, Part 2


Back in 2008, I wrote a blog post listing my Top Ten Christmas CD's at the time. I still love all those listed (there's actually 12 on the list because I added two that were new at the time), but I thought it was time to update my list with some new favorites. They are not in any particular order, because it's so hard to choose between them. Hope you enjoy - what are some of your favorites?

Not your ordinary Christmas cd, this compilation of original songs traces salvation history from the Exodus to the coming of the promised Messiah. Given my interest in typology and intertextuality, I find songs such as "Passover Us" and "Deliver Us" intriguing. The hauntingly beautiful "Labor of Love" tells the Christmas story through Mary's eyes, while "Matthew's Begats" places the genealogy of Jesus in a clever rhyme. But the title song is my absolute favorite.


Bublé's crooning style is made for singing Christmas songs, and he does so perfectly with classics such as "Blue Christmas" and "Silent Night," as well as newer favorites like "All I Want for Christmas Is You" and my personal pic, "Holly Jolly Christmas." 







I love the sound of Battistelli's voice, as well as her versions of traditional Christmas carols like "What Child Is This" and my all-time favorite Christmas song, "O Come O Come Emmanuel". She also covers the fun and quirky "Marshmallow World," and includes several songs which she co-wrote. "You're Here" is Mary's reflection on holding the Christ child for the first time, while "Christmas Dreams" is the perfect song for someone like me--the last line proclaims "You're never too old for Christmas dreams."

Now I never got into the tv show Glee, but their Christmas music is another story. I bought all three albums, but this first was my favorite. I get chills hearing them sing "O Christmas Tree," and their versions of "We Need a Little Christmas" and "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" never fail to make me smile and sing along.




How can you resist Idina's voice? It's beautiful and distinctive, and Christmas songs highlight it perfectly. In addition to the usual classics like "White Christmas" and "Do You Hear What I Hear",  this album features the incredible "December Prayer" and her duet with Michael Bublé's on "Baby, It's Cold Outside". Want even more fun? Check out the video of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" on youtube!



This is Point of Grace's fourth Christmas album, and it has a much more country feel than their past work. These ladies sound like they're having so much fun singing bouncy tunes like "Candy Cane Lane" and "Home for the Holidays". But they also remind the listener of the reason for the season with unique pieces such as "The Giver and the Gift".



This cd lives up to its name, bringing pure joy to the listener. I always look forward to a new SCC Christmas cd and his unique take on traditional favorites such as "Joy to the World" and "We Three Kings". In my personal opinion, the best songs on this album are Steven's originals, "Christmas Card" and "Christmas Time Again."



If the title didn't give it away, this charming album is full of Celtic arrangements of sacred Christmas carols such as "Hark the Herald" and "Carol of the Bells". If you don't tap your foot along to the Getty's "Joy to the World," you're not living! But the Getty's are most known for their modern song-writing, and this lives on in their original hymns, "O Savior of Our Fallen Race" and "How Suddenly a Baby Cries." 


Here's another lady with an immediately recognizable voice. I adore her duet of "Sleigh Ride/Marshmallow World" with John Pizzarelli, as well as the songs "Home on Christmas Day" and "Born on Christmas Day". But if I had to choose one song to highlight this album, it would be her rendition of "Come On, Ring Those Bells." This song has always signified Christmas to me, and Kristin's version is so much fun.



Megan is an absolute delight to hear live in concert, and her vivacious personality is not hidden on this Christmas cd. She covers the ballad "There's Always Tomorrow" from the classic Rudolph and "Count Your Blessings" from White Christmas. The album includes several traditional Christmas songs, as well as my favorite, "A Place Called Home." 



Wow, I can't seem to limit this list to just ten. So here are few more bonus recommendations...

Finally, a Christmas selection! Lady Antebellum sings many of the same songs found on a lot of these other albums, such as "Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Let It Snow". The title song, "On This Winter's Night", is beautiful, but Lady A's rendition of "Silent Night" overlaid with the tune "Lord of My Life" is truly special.



Ah, Smitty! His voice just keeps getting better with time. On this album, he joins with a variety of other artists, including Martina McBride and Bono, to spread the holiday cheer, and includes some instrumental medleys for even more Christmas joy. I love songs such as "Somewhere in My Memory", but the one that gives me chills is his duet with Carrie Underwood on MWS's "All Is Well." All I can say is "Wow!"


I will admit, I bought this cd solely for Kelly's version of "Silent Night," which she sings BEAUTIFULLY with Reba McEntire and Trisha Yearwood. I mean, AMAZING! But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I like a lot of songs on the album, especially her rendition of "My Favorite Things."




Well, happy listening, and Happy Christmas! Hope you enjoy some of my favorite holiday music. I will have my Christmas music on shuffle for the next two months!  

Comments

Popular Posts