Top Ten Christmas CD's

It's the time of year when I have Christmas music in every cd player I own - both in the house and in the car. So I thought I'd take a moment to share with you my top ten favorite Christmas cd's from across the years. Out of the ten, it's hard to rank them, because they're all so different and so good. And every year I end up with a new favorite. But these are the ones that have stood the test of time. (I really wish Blogger had a way to post mp3 files so you could hear some of the best songs on each... I did link the titles to amazon.com so you can preview the tracks if you're interested.)

Reba McEntire, Merry Christmas To You

One of my favorites growing up, it still gets me when I hear Reba's countryfied version of "O Holy Night." And I love telling her story, "The Christmas Guest," along with her. I can mimic every inflection and pause. It makes my mom laugh every time she hears me do it.



With Selah's trademark harmonies, beautiful piano accompaniment, and amazing unique songs such as "Mystery," "Light of the Stable," and "Once Upon a Christmas," this cd is one of my all-time favorites.


From a rocking "Rocking around the Christmas Tree" to a country "Silent Night" to the lyrical "Joseph's Lullaby," Mercy Me shows that they can do all styles of music, and do them well.



Nobody sings "O Holy Night" like Josh Groban. Unfortunately, he didn't put it on his Christmas cd! Regardless, this cd is an instant classic. His duet with Faith Hill on "The First Noel" is amazing, and I love his duet on "Angels We Have Heard on High" as well.



Both of PoG's Christmas cd's are great, but this one has some really fun arrangements of classic Christmas songs like Rudolph and Frosty, as well as a beautiful a cappella "In the First Light" and a breath-taking version of "All Is Well."


Evie Tornquist, Come On Ring Those Bells (no mp3 link)

An oldie but a goodie. I grew up singing "Come On Ring Those Bells" with Evie, and hearing that song is always the perfect beginning to the Christmas season.



Full of traditional Christmas songs, Martina's voice rings pure and beautiful from "O Holy Night" to "The Christmas Song."


Child of the Promise - a Christmas musical (no mp3 link)

This musical tells the story of the incarnation from the prophetic predictions of Christ's birth through the magi's visit to the Christ child. It's full of great contemporary Christian singers, and the music is just fabulous!


I picked this one up on a whim, not really knowing Erin O'Donnell's voice or style. But her jazzy arrangements of classic Christmas songs make this cd a ton a fun to listen to. A favorite is "Frosty the Snowman/Winter Wonderland."



Billy's voice has the pure boy-choir sound even in the country genre. I LOVE to hear his high notes. The song with Charlotte Church, "Sleigh Ride" is awesome, and my favorite is "There's a New Kid In Town." What a talented kid!


And two new favorites that just released this year...


Their unique arrangement of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" introduces this cd, and it gets better from there. Their original song, "While You Were Sleeping" is a call to America not to be caught unaware by Christ's second coming like Bethlehem did His first.


In the same style as Josh Groban, Travis Cottrell's voice is gorgeous! I absolutely love the song "Ring the Bells," and his rendition of "What Child Is This" is lovely as well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What? Amy Grant and Michael English are not on this list?!
Genny said…
What? No Charlie Brown? A great list...however, I'll probably wait to get my CD's on the player until after Thanksgiving.
Barb said…
Okay, Donald and Genny, this is MY list of favorites...

Amy Grant does have some good Christmas cd's, but they are by no means the ones that I have on repeat throughout the Christmas season. Michael English - never heard his. As for Charlie Brown, I've still never heard the entire Christmas cd, though I do have it on iTunes now. But Mercy Me and Erin O'Donnell both sing "Christmas Time Is Here", which I love (obviously).

As for waiting till after Thanksgiving - I'd never get through all my Christmas music if I did that!
Peas on Earth said…
Wow!! So many Christmas cds I have never heard of!!! I gotta get on this ...

Actually, I ripped two Christmas CDs yesterday and put them on my MP3 player ... 'tis the season ... well, almost.

Evie's "C'mon Ring Those Bells" LP was one of my favorites growing up, too! :-)
Amie V said…
I don't know most of these, either... hmmmm.

Bing Crosby is one of my faves. He's got some great stuff. And Harry Connick, Jr-- his two live in my cd player all season. I just melt... ahhhhh.

Thanks for sharing this list! I'm on a mission now... you wouldn't want to *ahem* share, would you? ;)
Barb said…
Amie, I think we've already established that I don't mind "sharing" music. Let me know which ones you're interested in, and I'll see what I can do to introduce you to them. I think you have Josh Groban from last year's Christmas package.

Oh, and I do like the Harry Connick, Jr. ones too. I had forgotten about them. :)
Amie V said…
Yahoo! Thanks! =D
Jennie B said…
I am very sad to not see "John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album" on your list...tsk tsk tsk. That was such a staple in our household. Or the Beach Boys Christmas Album, another total classic. You should check them out, I bet they will soon become classics. :)

But thanks for the list, I actually need to get my christmas music in order, as soon as we get back from our trip on Thanksgiving, this house is going CHRISTMAS! WOOT!
Jennie B said…
OH yeah, you should check out Harry Connick Jr's Christmas albums two I love him to pieces...

Popular Posts