Comprehensively STRESSED!!!

Next week I take my comprehensive exams. These exams could be over ANYTHING related to my major (New Testament) and my minor (New Testament Theology), and I have to pass in order to move forward and write my dissertation. They are written exams, 4 hours Tuesday (major) and 4 hours Wednesday (minor). I have been madly trying to study for the exams, and the more I study, the less I know. All the information is a big jumble in my head, and I'm struggling to keep it straight. It doesn't help that I don't know what is going to be asked! My task over this weekend is to create a question related to each area that I know will be covered and sit down and write an essay to answer the question - this should help to compartmentalize the information, and it's good practice. I did one essay yesterday - it's 6 pages long, single-spaced, and took longer than I will have on a single day. STRESS!!!

In the meantime, I've been putting off anything that is not absolutely urgent until after comps. Which means that I now have a LONG list of things to do after comps, and I've already started forgetting some of them. So for the sake of my mental health, I'm going to make a list here of all the "to do's" for after comps.
  1. Clean my apartment. It's a disaster!
  2. Get the oil changed in my car.
  3. Edit Ingo's dissertation.
  4. Send CV's out to colleges for possible teaching jobs.
  5. Prepare for the children's choir Christmas concert.
  6. Take photos for various families.
  7. Start Weight Watchers with Genny.
  8. Introduce Courtney to Sam Moon and the stores around it.
  9. Finish (and START) Christmas shopping.
  10. Create this year's installment of the Barb's Favorite Christmas Songs cd's.
  11. Finish the scrapbook of my family's trip to Scotland/England before I go home for Christmas.
  12. Catch up on all the tasks in the office that I've been neglecting - like filing...
  13. Put together my prospectus for my dissertation (assuming I pass comps).
  14. Put up my Christmas tree (admittedly this can wait a bit).

Oh my! So much to do, so little time! Please pray for me as I go through this final crunch time before the exams. Pray that my mind will be clear, that my anxiety will ease, that I will be able to recall the information that I have studied, and that I will be able to articulate it well. I can't WAIT till 5:00 on Wednesday, Nov. 12! Anyone up for a celebration?

Comments

LeAnn said…
Praying for you and the comps. I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors, but it can be stressful. The one piece of advice I heard when preparing for my LPC exam (similar b/c of 13 sections and anything could be asked) was to make sure and take a "mental" break the night before...just giving yourself a break for a little while! Wish I could celebrate with you on Wed!
Amie V said…
I will be praying for you lots between now and then, and can't wait to hear the good news: first, that you are DONE, and then how extremely well you did. ;)

Oh, and I'm totally up for a celebration... let me know where we can meet! =D
Anonymous said…
Praying for you. You can do it!
Barb said…
Amie, let's meet at the bus stop, platform 11, to catch the bus to Slain's. Bring a warm coat, I bet it'll be frigid on those cliffs! I'll wear my hiking boots so we won't have another ankle incident.
Genny said…
First, love the title of this post.

Second, a reminder..."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Third, I'm looking forward to the WW accountability.

Fourth, I have elves to help with house cleaning, tree raising and other types of problems.

Fifth, you are one of the smartest people I know and you will pass easily!
Amie V said…
Awesome, Barb. I'll be there, ready to go! That would be the BEST celebration. =D
Jennie B said…
OMG! I have never seen such preparedness in my life. You have done all of that and are doing essays for practice, girly you are there, just keep chugging along and it will all come out fine when its times. Believe me,I know what I'm talking about, I'm a teacher. :P

I will pray for you to keep calm and be self assured you have everything under control. :) I know you already have the rest taken care of.
Barb said…
thanks, all, for your prayers, encouragement and advice. i'm sure i'll do a celebration post when it's all over.

oh, and i knew i'd forget something from my post-comps to-do list. I remembered it when I looked in the mirror - gotta get my eyebrows waxed and a pedicure. Can't wait!
Peas on Earth said…
You can do it. Give yourself permission to relax. There comes a time when your brain and body need that more than stuffing more information into your already stressed mind and soul. Looking forward to hearing great things! Bless you, dear~
Peas on Earth said…
Soooooooo ... how'd it go?

Popular Posts