Green Thumb, Take Two

It's been a while since I've updated you on the state of my tomato plants. Well, unfortunately, it seems my tomato plants are barren - they've grown rather tall and produced yellow flowers, but either the flowers got eaten off, or fell off, I'm not sure which. Regardless, I've not seen any tomatos, which is really sad. Here's a picture of my original plants.

So, I read that one way to grow tomatos is to plant them in a bag of miracle grow potting soil, punching a lot of holes in the bottom for drainage. So I decided to give it one more go - if I could just get ONE tomato, I'd be happy (one of my own, that is - Genny's given me a few from her non-barren plants, and they were delicious!). So here's my second attempt at growing tomatos. If it looks like it might be successful, I'll get some mulch and cover over the unsightly bag, but for now, I'm just gonna wait and see what happens.
Oh, my pretty red gerbera daisies were not so hearty either, and they died. I think it was the storm where they got beat down with the rain pouring off the top of the roof that started their demise. So, I decided to go with a more durable plant, and replaced them with red petunias. We'll see how long they last. It might be that I just don't have a green thumb.

Comments

Amie V said…
What a bummer! But the grow bag thing, I just discovered that here. Apparently, Kenny tells me, they have been growing tomatoes in grow bags (basically a bag of miracle-grow like stuff, with holes ready to punch out and perfectly sized for the plants) for ages. I guess that makes sense. You can't really grow them just in the back garden here, can you? Need a greenhouse and a little something more. It works here, so I hope it works for you! =D
Genny said…
I hope it works out this time. At least you haven't been without fresh tomatoes though.
Barb said…
You're right, Genny. Thanks for keeping me supplied with yummy tomatoes in my "time of need". :)
Jennie B said…
If Amie makes a visit your way or you ours, I can supply you with ample tomatoes as well. :) We planted 12 to many plants. :) So we will have tons is they survive, but as we already see some maters on them I think Machias will be very pleased he will again have tomatoes to eat from the vine this summer.

Popular Posts