Big Changes...

This has been a week of big changes for me. Last Tuesday I completed nine years of employment at Southwestern Seminary. (I can't believe I forgot to get a picture of my last day at SWBTS - what was I thinking?! ) Yesterday I started my new job as Assistant to the Headmaster (Dr. Wolfe) and chaplain to girls at the Cambridge School of Dallas. Everyone has been very welcoming, and of course Dr. Wolfe put me right to work. At least I don't have to prove myself to the boss! I have a tiny office, but I'm starting to make it feel like home with some of my books and photos. Tomorrow we have in-service and school starts on Monday, so I'm certainly hitting the ground running! I will be filling in for one of the math teachers in her Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and Geometry classes a good bit this semester as she undergoes chemo and radiation - talk about going outside your comfort zone! I love math, but I've never taught it, and it sure has been a while since I've done any higher math. Should be interesting! Thursday night is Convocation (or Back to School Night) where I'll get introduced to the entire Cambridge community, including both parents and students. I think I'm really going to like it here!

As for the apartment, the move did not go quite as smoothly as the job transition. Mom, Dad, and Ben were supposed to fly in on Thursday night to help with the move. Well, that didn't happen - they sat at the airport for several hours Thursday evening and then all day Friday waiting for a flight (they were going standby), and finally gave up and drove to Alabama instead. I was quite disappointed, and frustrated for them that they had wasted all that time, but oh well. The movers I hired were great - if you are ever moving, I highly recommend Midnight Movers. They moved me out of one apartment, drove 40 minutes to the new one, and moved me into my new second-floor apartment in 3.5 hours! It would have taken my friends and me all day! They would pick up a piece of heavy furniture like it was made of styrofoam! Kristen, Rachel, Amanda, and Norman were a great help with the moving and cleaning my old apartment, and Mrs. Wolfe came over on Saturday to help set up and unpack. I couldn't have done it without all of them!
The movers couldn't get my HEAVY couch through the kitchen doorway, so they took it out the front door and hefted it over the fence! Thanks, Kristen, for photographing the moment on your iphone! :)
I like my new apartment - it seems quite large and open, and once I stop decorating with cardboard boxes it might start feeling like home. Unfortunately the air conditioner has had some issues since I moved in - it doesn't want to cool. And in Texas in August, that's bad! I've called them several times, and it finally started working better in the middle of the night last night. I hope it is finally fixed and will keep me cool, because unpacking makes me work up a sweat!
Above: my building - I'm the apartment at the top of the stairs
Below: the complex and one of the 3 swimming pools

So, that's the latest on my life. Work at CSD during the day, home to unpack boxes and sweat in the evenings. Eventually I'll replace the unpacking with work on the dissertation - it's not writing itself! I'll post pics of the inside of the apartment and my office once I get settled and unpacked. Hopefully that will be soon!

Comments

Courtney said…
Hey Barb! Your new apartment looks awesome and I totally love the pool. That's going to be really nice to relax next to. :) Sounds like your new job is going well. I'm realy excited for you.
D. H. Kim said…
Glad to hear that you're settling in. Looks great, sounds exciting. I'll see you around.
Amie V said…
oooh, i'm totally coming to visit you at your new place... the outside looks amazing! can't wait to see the inside... =D
Barb said…
Come on, Amie! You're welcome any time. And the inside doesn't look so great right now, but I'm making progress. I'm ready for it to be "normal".

Popular Posts