Charleston Vacation, Day 4

On Wednesday morning, Dad and I got up early and went out to Shem Creek for our Stand-up Paddleboard Tour, which was what I gave him for his birthday/Father's Day. Neither of us had ever tried the SUP, and I was nervous I wouldn't be able to do it. But our guide was really helpful. He talked us through the basics on land, then told us to get on our knees on our boards and pushed us off the dock into the water. So far, so good. Then he said it was time to stand up. Dad and the other 3 people on our tour stood up with no problem. I stood up but felt like my feet were too close together, so I tried to shift them, and down I went, into the water. Thankfully it was quite easy to get back on the board, and I didn't fall again, although whenever we encountered the wake from boats I would get on my knees because I felt much more stable that way. The tour itself was a lot of fun - we saw dolphins, pelicans, osprey, and even a manatee which we sat and watched for quite some time. The paddleboarding itself wasn't too difficult, but staying upright wasn't the easiest thing in the world. I would like to try it again sometime though.
After the tour, we picked up Mom and Ben from the AirBNB, grabbed a quick lunch, and made our way back to the Isle of Palms for the rest of the afternoon. The waves were really powerful as the tide came in, and it was SO hot so I actually got in the water and played in the waves with Mom and Dad. I also lost my sunglasses when a really strong wave sent me underwater.
We ate dinner at the pizza place down by the beach and then went back out to watch the sun go down. Mom and Dad walked, Ben took a little snooze, and I sat and read until it got too dark to see. We soaked in every minute of the sun on our last Isle of Palms day. 

Comments

Popular Posts