State Fair of Texas

Yesterday a group of us from Cypress, Wedgwood's single's department, went to the closing weekend of the State Fair of Texas. We decided to ride the train, the Trinity Rail Express, rather than fight traffic driving to Dallas. The trainride itself was fun, though it seemed really slow.

(Amy)
(me and Taryn)
(Jenny and Amy)
(Missi, Norman, and Jenny)
When we finally got to the fair, we split into two groups and immediately scoped out the food. The state fair is all about fried food, and every year vendors try to come up with strange concoctions, like fried twinkies, fried snickers, and this year's winner, chicken fried bacon. Very strange! Most of the group wanted corny dogs, so that was our first stop (I got french fries, of course). Since this particular food stand was in front of Big Tex ("Howdy, folks!"), I took advantage of the photo op.

We then headed down the Midway toward the Texas Star, the largest ferris wheel in the United States (of course, everything is bigger in Texas, right?). The line was long, but it moved a lot quicker than we expected, and our ride on the ferris wheel was marked with a beautiful view of the Dallas Skyline at the final moments of sunset.
(Amanda and Deja)

After that we wandered around the fairgrounds, eating more fair food (corn on the cob, caramel apples, funnel cakes) and visiting various exhibits. We saw the most adorable puppies - I have no idea what breed they were, but I SO wanted to bring one home with me. Then we headed back to the train station for the late night ride home. It was a long evening, but a lot of fun. And since this quite possibly could be my last autumn in Texas, I was so glad to get the chance to experience the State Fair once again.

Comments

theglenns556 said…
I can't believe we never went to the fair when we lived there. We were only there for 2 falls because my nerd husband finished his MDiv. in 2 years but I really wish we had done that. Regrets, regrets!
Unknown said…
I love the fair! The ferris wheel shots are amazing. I'm glad you got to go... and that Bama won. ;)

So, you wanna come to Aberdeen next year, right? =D
Barb said…
Um, yes, Amie, I absolutely DO want to come to Aberdeen next year. I told you, if you get me there, I will do your graduation photos for free. :) So you start working on that!
Genny said…
Looks like fun. Did anyone try the bacon?
Barb said…
No, Genny, none of our group tried the bacon. There was a long line, and it cost 10 tickets ($5) - not sure how much bacon you got for that though.
Anonymous said…
Too bad we didn't see you there. We didn't get bacon either (we did fried smore instead) but I heard you get 4-5 pieces and that it was (sadly) really good.

Popular Posts