High Points from "Christmas Time Is Here"

Last night was our children's choir concert, "Christmas Time Is Here." It wasn't a musical, but a concert that Genny and I planned and put together with the purpose of sharing what the true gift of Christmas is - the gift of Jesus and his coming to earth to effect salvation for his people. As Brother Al said last night - this gift was for the whole world, but most importantly, it was for ME! And we wanted the kids to be a part of sharing this Gospel message in an unusual and special manner.

I admit, up to yesterday, I was really wondering if we could pull it off. There were parts that were really rough, even through the dress rehearsal. And we never went through the entire program from start to finish until the service last night! But after the concert, I wonder why I worry. The kids always pull themselves together and surprise, impress, and bless me beyond any expectations. And last night was no exception. So let me share a few of my impressions from last night (photos will follow in a separate post). These are some of my favorite moments from the concert:

  1. The gorgeous set, with mantle made specially for our presentation, providing the perfect ambience - so warm and homey.
  2. The adorable sound of nearly 50 2nd-6th grade children when they sang the first note on "Christmas Time Is Here" - on pitch, high, and precious, just like the Charlie Brown kids.
  3. The experience of all the kids' eyes glued to me, being flexible as we had to improvise over my starting "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" before Robert had the correct guitar in hand!
  4. The band rocking out on "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."
  5. The congregation's joy at seeing the glow stick choreography.
  6. "This Child Is Gonna Rock Your World" - I just love the words to this song!
  7. The sixth graders signing "One King" - especially Carilyn's fabulous expressiveness on the words "Satan's power" and Ally's expression staring down at the "baby" on the words "Hope of the world."
  8. Actually being able to hear the words to the drama for the first time in the performance, and enjoying the skit and the message proclaimed.
  9. The absolute beauty of the high notes in "Drummer Boy." Our best song, especially the middle high section. And I thought the kids were going to hate that part because it was high!
  10. Making it through "Little Town" (even though it wasn't in the program) with no missed words. Well done!
  11. The harmony on "Light of the Stable" (for the most part anyway).
  12. Genny's joy at the boomwhackers' successful performance of "African Noel".
  13. The bell-girls' absolutely fabulous performance of "Carol of the Bells." It was the best we've played it, and I was so proud!
  14. Singing with the kids on the Mercy Me "Silent Night" - what a thrill to sing with such a great choir.
  15. The beautiful sound of three-part harmony on "Dona Nobis Pacem." Again, the best we've done it!
  16. The precious look on Joel's face when he answered Brother Al's question of who did Jesus come to save - "me!"
  17. "All Is Well" was absolutely enchanting - backlit with gold, the gradual lighting of the candles, and the pure sound of the combined choirs for this lovely song.
  18. Watching the cameraderie and selflessness of choir members helping each other get their candles lit and giving away their own lit candle to bring joy to another.
  19. Seeing the joy on the individual choir members' and leaders' faces at having completed a successful concert.
  20. Sharing the experience with some of my dearest friends and a fabulous group of children.

These are just some of the high points. The entire program was a success, and I couldn't have asked for a better result. If I wasn't in the Christmas spirit before, I certainly am now. Christmas Time Is definitely Here!

Comments

Amie V said…
Congrats, Barb (and everyone else, of course)! Sounds like it was wonderful-- I feel almost like I was there. =D

Popular Posts