Handel's Messiah

Tonight was the Seminary performance of Handel's Messiah. This has become something of a holiday tradition for me. I went my first year at SWBTS, and I think I've only missed one year since then. Every year there's something different, whether it's a new soprano (tonight's was amazing), the bass falling asleep on stage, or new friends to share the experience with. Tonight, Genny and her daughter Abigial, and my friends Amy and Amanda joined me for the concert. The music was beautiful, at times soothing and peaceful, at times strong and majestic. The soprano and tenor soloists were both new and both did a wonderful job, while the bass and alto soloists were the same as always, and honestly sounded mediocre compared to the others. The choir was great, and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra sounded brilliant as well. I love hearing "The Messiah." It never fails to get me into the Christmas spirit, and is a perfect way to start the Christmas season with a reminder of why exactly we celebrate.

Comments

Amie V said…
I agree, I love Messiah, as well. At Asbury, pretty much the only chapel service I ever looked forward to was the annual Messiah sing-along... they had soloists, and then handed out scores to anyone who wanted one. Always great fun. =D
Barb said…
At Alabama we did a Messiah performance every other year, with the off years being a Messiah sing-along just like what you described, Amie. I loved that. Last night I sang along in my head, but I didn't sing outloud, unlike some people around us.
Hi Barb! I certainly miss being able to attend Messiah. I wonder if there's a Wii version? :)

Popular Posts